Commission offers grants, seminar
The York County Arts Commission is offering a free two-hour grant writing seminar for individuals interested in applying for commission grant funding for arts programs that benefit the citizens of York County.
In recent years, the Arts Commission has made some changes in its annual grant application process. This seminar addresses these changes and covers general items that will be helpful in preparing an arts grant application.
The seminar will be held in the East Room of York Hall, 301 Main Street, historic Yorktown, and offered from 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 4 and 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 18.
Register for a session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call 890-3500.
All individuals and organizations are invited to apply for grants in the arts that benefit the citizens of York County. Applications are available at the York County Parks and Recreation office or online at www.yorkcounty.gov/711/Arts-Commission-of-York-County. The deadline for submissions is 4 p.m. March 2.
Project grant and challenge grant applications will be reviewed by the York County Arts Commission with funding recommendations made this spring. Pending approval by the Board of Supervisors, funds will be appropriated late summer, sometime after July 1.
The following criteria will determine eligibility for a project grant:
- Not-for-profit and exempt from federal income tax under provisions of the internal revenue code.
- Produce, present or support dance, literary arts, media arts, music, theater, museums, visual and related arts.
- Perform or offer activities/services in York County or in Williamsburg or James City County that also serve the citizens of York County.
- Performances, projects, or services not held in Williamsburg, James City County or York County, which are deemed by the Commission to directly benefit the citizens of York County.
- Performances, projects or services are accessible to persons with disabilities and the public at large.
- Grant money is not to be used for capital investment or operating expenses.
The York County Arts Commission is once again offering a challenge grant up to $500 to promote citizen awareness of local and regional arts groups by showcasing their talents at various sites in York County. The grant provides funding support to eligible individuals and organizations to create and present their work, develop new programs and to increase opportunities for visual and performing arts groups to promote interest in their organizations. For more information, contact Michael Wilcox, Arts Commission liaison, at 890-3513 or email email@example.com.